It has finally come.... Trauma Day! This was the test, the day we all had been waiting for. The whole MYP (that is, year 7 to year 10) went up Persløkka, somewhere in the mountains, instead of having a normal school day. Our PE teacher, Bill Dwyer talked us through the plan for today and we started the Trauma Day.
We were divided into groups with four students from each class. What made work a bit hard was that we were only three from our class. That was me, Mathea and Shaha. As work for four people was divided among three people, we had to do more than we we supposed to.
The MYP B's started by filming the C class helping the A class who had gone through a tragic situation. Later it was our class' turn to be first responders. We were to help the C class. The girl I had to save was Hannah and she was supposed to be unconscious and a stick sticking out from her hand. I started with calling the ambulance, then tilting the chin for airwa as it was more important than first removing the stick. Before starting the CPR, I surrounded the stick in her hand with a cloth multiple times so it would not move. The annoying part while doing this was when another girl was supposed to be the driver who had driven over the C class. She was supposed to be a bit crazy and question and distract you about whatever you tried to do to help. As I was tying the cloth she would as me, "Are you sure you are not supposed to take the stick out? I seriously think you are doing it wrong!" She must have said this a thousand times and I was about start laughing. After doing this I performed the CPR until time was over. I do not know what I did wrong as my patient never woke up. I believe I did everything right but my work wasn't probably seen at the right time and thus, it was taken in as doing it wrong.
After a few more rounds, it was finally our turn to be the injured. The situation was that we had fallen from a mountain all at once on top of each other. I was unconscious and could not feel my legs and my back hurt. Josefine, who was my first responder started by calling the ambulance and then calling the others to move me into a safe place. The lifted my head and body such that I was straight and placed me on to an inclined, hilly area. I don't think that was really smart as if I was actually unconscious and could not control myself from rolling down, I would have rolled down. They noticed after something I would not call a short while and placed me on a safer area. Josefine performed the CPR a bit harder than she should have pretended until the 'ambulance' came. It was starting to get a bit uncomfortable when she had done enough sets before time was up and I had luckily woken up. After this I had to start whining about how I could not feel my legs. The D class in my group found sticks nearby and attached them to both my legs so that I could not move them. I don't know how this would be from feeling them again so that wasn't really a success.
It was pretty annoying to get the tape and sticks of my legs when it was over, but somebody else ended up taking it off for me so I just sat there relaxing.
No comments:
Post a Comment